Kim Ace Said,
January 8th, 2009 @12:54 pm

That is really good strategy you have. Setting the limits and organizing your spending always bring best results at the end, and everyone is happy. This Christmas was very savvy for me, so i really couldn’t call not even near the word horror luckily 🙂

January 8th, 2009 @3:35 pm

I’m not the budget guy like you are Jason. I typically wait until the last minute and buy everything cash. I try not to ever spend more then 100 bucks a person on my family and girlfriend. The dog and cat usually get a simple treat too. The thing we did that was kinda cool was this. I bought my girl a Northface Fleece on credit card. She wasn’t too pumped about it and ended up returning it and getting a full jacket and ski pants for the same price just last week. So we made out on that one.

Kelly Said,
January 9th, 2009 @1:29 pm

Unfortunately I lost my job at the beginning of December, so that made Christmas shopping even tougher. I am going to try to be more disciplined about setting money aside for Christmas throughout the year so I don’t find myself in a pinch and using credit cards when it comes down to the wire.

January 14th, 2009 @1:03 pm

I think I must be a descendant of Scrooge. Rather than spend money I didn’t have over last Christmas, I agree with my family that we’d only buy presents for the little ones. I just find it hard to ustify going into debt just to buy people presents they probably don’t need or won’t use. Yes I know I sound miserable but thats probably because I didn’t get any presents last year 🙁

Jason Said,
January 16th, 2009 @12:21 pm

We also only buy for the kids. For friends, we decided that instead of exchanging gifts, we would just host a pot-luck dinner for everyone. That was much cheaper and more fun too!

January 16th, 2009 @3:49 pm

I like the alternative gift idea. I know I have always gotten a bunch of mileage out of hand writing a card or setting up a nice dinner instead of buying my girl something she’s gonna return. Then there is always the classic, “re-gift” We passed out a few bottles of wine that my dad gave us which I am 99% positive he was given.

Jason Said,
January 19th, 2009 @3:17 pm

Oh yes, re-gifting is another thing I use. I usually get something from work, and pass it on. I also use any money I get to pay for other gifts.

January 24th, 2009 @4:00 pm

Well, it seems that everytime Xmas is round the corner, people tend to go a bit overboard. The stuff that some people buy is downright ridiculous, even crazy at times. But it seems that something is in the air and we just want to keep on shopping. Yup! Christmas is the time we manage to max out all the cards in one go and now, we get to deal with the mess. The one thing that we can do is to consolidate all the debts and try to pay it all up before Xmas comes round again!

January 28th, 2009 @5:12 pm

This was the first year that we bought gifts only for the kids. Previous years, my wife and I had exchanged gifts. For the rest of the family, we all did a big family drawing and bought a gift for the name of the person that we drew out of the hat. There were far fewer gifts around the tree this year, but the kids still go to have the fun, but without us going into crazy debt with our credit cards. We spent half on the kids that we did the previous year and my oldest daughter said to me “this was the best Christmas ever”. We’ll probably do the same thing next year.

January 29th, 2009 @12:27 pm

The main problem is the negative connotation of terms. Is budgeting $150 being frugal, cheap or smart? We both know that the first two words have negative connotations attached to them.

I applaud your efforts to set a minimum (once again, unfortunately a negative connotation), so I will use the word “goal.” and you being able to achieve your goal in your Christmas spending. (Notice how saying it this way it has a positive connotation to it?)

February 2nd, 2009 @9:31 am

i have no family by the moment.. i mean a siblings, but as occasional as the Christmas i spent a lot of money i can get in my pocket this comes once in a year.. over the year i keep my money for this kind of occasion i gift what i can give to my love ones…

Jason Said,
February 2nd, 2009 @11:13 pm

I think from now on, me and my girlfriend will just get each other a small gift, and then buy ‘us’ something for the house. Seeing as we are still in the first year of owning it, we still need/want a lot of stuff. We also want to upgrade everything slowly.