To cut costs while away from home may actually be easier than you may think. So many of us get up, head to work, and come home without giving thought to how much money we are spending throughout our day. But, with more self awareness and by taking some easy steps, you can reduce the total amount of money you spend on a daily basis.
On the Way to Work
If you are still driving your own car, alone, to and from work, you are not keeping up with the times. In an effort to both save money and live a greener lifestyle, a variety of options have become available. Consider whether any of these options could work for you:
· Carpool with a neighbour or friend- While you may not want to travel daily with someone you may not know well, there is a good chance that one of your good friends also travels into the city for work daily and would be happy to save some money.
· Public Transit– You could take the city bus, a private bus, or the train to and from work instead of driving. And, instead of sitting in traffic being unproductive, you could actually take a nap or get some work done and make better use of your valuable time.
· Avoid the $5 Coffee– Instead of stopping at the local coffee house for a $5 coffee, brew your cup at home and take it in a travel thermos.
· Skip the Newspaper– Read your news online for free instead of paying for a daily subscription.
Now that you have made some changes on your way into work, it is time to continue the trend and make some changes while you are at work.
· Avoid the Daily Lunch Out– Pack your lunch instead of spending money during your lunch hour for overpriced, and often unhealthy options.
· Avoid the Soda Machine– Fifty cents here and there can add up over the course of a year. Imagine, during a 50 week work year, you could spend as much as $500 on sodas. If you really need to satisfy a craving, bring a soda from home. You can buy in bulk weekly for a fraction of the cost of a soda from a machine.
If you are really overzealous, you can skip the happy hour after work and have a bottle of wine or beer within the comfort of your own home for about 25% of the cost in a bar. Needless to say, all of these tips will cut down the amount of money you are spending every day.